Thursday 15 December 2011

The Destructor by Steve Ditko

Mini Post

The Destructor by Steve Ditko & Archie Goodwin
Published by Atlas/Seaboard
4 issues, Feb-Aug 1975

Well, I’m sure you can guess why I own this series. Yes, of course, Steve Ditko. Although, being written by Archie Goodwin is always a positive in my book.


This was a really good strip for Ditko to draw. Ditko recaptures the quirkiness of the early Spider-Man issues, particularly with the almost double-jointed poses of the protagonist. Lots of pure Ditko touches, some of his idioms are lost in the issues inked by Wally Wood, which is a common complaint with Wood inking Ditko, although Wood’s influence on the strip isn’t as heavy as their previous work together for Tower Comics. That being said, I do like Wood’s inks on Ditko’s pencils, they both have very recognisable styles that work well together, but it ends up as a weird hybrid, that looks great but strange if you are used to seeing Ditko ink Ditko.

The first three issues are a straight costumed hero fighting underworld crime adventure and they work very well. They move the Destructor around the country to keep the settings fresh, so it’s not all grim inner-city defender type action. But the last issue, which ends the series on a cliff-hanger (or new direction at least) is pure odd-ball and doesn’t seem to fit with the rest of the series. I certainly don’t know whether it was Goodwin’s intention to mix it up like this from the start, or whether it was a change made higher up in the food chain, but I thought it was a disappointing end to a previously great strip.

All round, it’s a great comic for those first three issues. The highlight for me was issue 3, Goodwin does a great job of building the tension and provides a couple of unexpected extras, but best of all with this issue is Frank Giacoia inking Ditko. I think that this is only Ditko/Giacoia I have and I’m not sure if they have worked together before or since, but it’s a terrific pairing, they really compliment each other’s style.

Like most of the Atlas/Seaboard comics, you can pick these up pretty cheap, I’m surprised that there isn’t a publisher out there that has re-packaged these old strips into collected editions, but, if you weren’t aware, Atlas has been relaunched recently (although The Destructor wasn’t one of the characters chosen for a new series) so who knows, maybe we’ll get an Atlas Archives series in the future.



Mad Thinker Reads………………
DitkoDitkoDitkoDitkoDitko

3 comments:

  1. MT: Frank Giacoia inked Ditko on the Hulk strip in Tales to Astonish # 67. I believe it was the only other time he inked Ditko. I was around when Atlas Comics first showed up on the newsstands and had high hopes for the company. Unfortunately they lost any sense of individuality quickly. I thought the Destructor had plenty of potential, but it needed time to grow, and the abrupt change in concept didn't work. I've written about the series in an article that was first published in Comic Book Artist and was recently revised in DitkoMania, a fanzine which discusses all things Ditko. I also have a blog that discusses Ditko, along with other comics related interests. I'f you're interested you can check it out here:

    http://nick-caputo.blogspot.com/

    I've enjoyed reading your post and look forward to catching up.

    Nick Caputo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info Nick. I actually have that issue of TtA but haven't looked at it for a while and didn't realise that Giacoia inked it (under a pseudonym?). I've just been on to your blog, great stuff, I very much enjoyed the last couple of posts.
    MT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks MT. You're correct Giacoia was inking under the name Frank Ray for a short time.

    ReplyDelete